Can cleaning fumes make you sick?
Rug, carpet, upholstery cleaners.
These cleaning products can contain perchloroethylene (used in dry cleaning), naphthalene and ammonium hydroxide.
The fumes given off by these products can cause cancer and liver damage and have been known to cause dizziness, sleepiness, nausea, loss of appetite, and disorientation..
What happens if you inhale too much cleaning products?
When mixed, the contents of certain cleaners can trigger dangerous chemical reactions, such as the combination of ammonia and bleach. Mixing them produces toxic fumes that, when inhaled, cause coughing; difficulty breathing; and irritation of the throat, eyes and nose.
What are the symptoms of chemical inhalation?
You have been exposed to chemical fumes. This may cause symptoms of cough, shortness of breath, eye, nose, and throat irritation, and upper chest pain. It may also cause nausea, headache, and dizziness.
Can inhaling cleaning products harm you?
Many cleaning supplies or household products can irritate the eyes or throat, or cause headaches and other health problems, including cancer. Some products release dangerous chemicals, including volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Other harmful ingredients include ammonia and bleach.
How do you treat a chemical inhalation?
Medical Treatment for Chemical PneumoniaIV fluids.Oxygen by mask or tube.Breathing treatment with medicine to open breathing tubes.Steroid medications by IV or mouth.Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs by mouth.Pain medications by IV or mouth.Artificial ventilation (help breathing)Preventive antibiotics (sometimes)
What happens when you breathe in chemicals?
A small chemical exposure can cause tearing eyes and burning of the eyes, nose, throat, chest and skin. It may cause headache, sweating, blurred vision, stomach aches and diarrhea. It is common for even mild symptoms from a harmful chemical to make people feel anxious.